CEBU / FOOD / Dessert / Cakes
Founder: Janine Gesalem
1. What got you started with this brand? What was your inspiration? What is the idea/concept behind it?
I really just started this during the lockdown as a means to help support our employees who were not able to work at that time. 100% of the proceeds then went to buying rice and goods for these employees.
We initially started with Banana Bread and then started selling our grandmother’s famous brownies, before getting into Korean Cakes.
The cakes idea started when my grandmother passed on her old recipe notebook to me. I’m such a cake lover so I wanted to experiment and try making the Mocha Chiffon Cake that we all loved growing up. And since Korean-style minimalist cakes were not available in the Cebu market at that time, I wanted to be the first to try my hand on it, even if I did not have any culinary background. I just kept learning along the way and I guess the rest is history!
2. What is your best-selling product?
Definitely the customized Korean Buttercream Cakes and our best-selling Tiramisu series.
3. What do you want people to experience with your brand/product(s)?
They would get carefully crafted cakes that’s not just beautiful on the outside but also delicious inside! I think what makes our cakes different is the kind of icing that we use–it’s not too sweet and it’s light and fluffy!
4. What tips and advice can you give to entrepreneurs who are just starting out or are planning to start their own brand?
I’d say just go for it! So many people out there are afraid to even try. But when you do, best to lay down what you really want to cater, who your market is, what look you want to portray. Planning is key!
5. What’s next for your brand?
There’s so much that’s lined up for this year! We are about to launch new cakes such as our newly perfected Tablea Cake. And we released Bento Cakes to make gift-giving even more affordable!
6. What other additional information and details would you like to share?
Slots fill up really quick so best to book early. It pains us to have to say no to clients!